Monday, September 1, 2008

Very Special Weekend

I've mentioned in previous posts how Labor Day Weekend has become very special for my family. Our Texas brother and his lovely wife made their way back to us here in Montana for the third annual trip. And my baby brother, along with his lovely wife, came down from Great Falls so we were all together and it was an amazing time.

Friday night began with a bonfire at Edward's but unfortunately Craig & Kayrene weren't able to make it in time for that (insert sobs here). On Saturday it was a lot of everybody doing a little of this and a little of that with whoever happened to be at mom's at the time. Sunday was by far the most special. We had a barbecue at my mom's followed by games and funny remembrances of dad.

Eight of us took part in a game of Taboo and it turned out to be just hilarious. Jeff was sitting between his wife and I and the word on his card was "curriculum". He started out by saying it was a Jewish tradition which really made me wonder where in the heck he was headed. Carolyn also appeared confused. He said a few more words and then Steve guessed "circumcision" and Jeff said "right" and brought up the next card. Carolyn grabbed the card and said "that's not what that word is!" and then proceeded to say what the right one was. We laughed so hard we had to stop the timer. It was all too much.

But for Steve and I an equally great part of the day came far earlier. Jeff and Carolyn joined us for church at Calvary. He was hoping to hear Steve preach but this was not one of those weeks. They came anyway, joining us first for Sunday School (which Steve does teach every week) and then church. It meant the world to us to have the support of someone we consider part of our family. I told Jeffrey thanks in person but again I want to express to you Jeff how much it impacted us. Thank you for lifting our spirits!

I don't have a lot of pictures of the weekend which is really unlike me but here are a few.

Peter insisting the fire was bright enough to justify sunglasses. He wasn't the only one - Shiela and Carolyn also had them on. As a side note, no, he doesn't always dress like the Hef -- he was wearing Edward's robe while waiting for his clothes to dry. He used his bottoms for the hot tub:

Edward chopping wood for the fire (that's my momma with him):

Steve and Erica (they're always good for a pic):

Last but certainly not least, Jeff and Carolyn:

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Your love for your family -- and their gatherings, is so apparent, Julie. What a gift from the Lord - and what a gift to be able to all gather, remember -- and laugh, if I know you... Blessings on your week, and I hope you rested today.