Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I Am Willing To....

Steve did a devotion a couple of weeks ago at the staff retreat that centered around the question, "what are you willing to do for God?" He went on to give several examples in scripture of what people were willing to do for God and then he further expounded on this in his blog entry last week. Since he did that so well, I won't even attempt to recap it here.

But, ever since that devotion I have been pondering that question as it relates to several things in my life right now. Am I willing to quit my job? Yep. Check. Am I willing to start a new job? Yep. Check. Am I willing to do another job that is new and requires more volunteer hours than paid hours? Yep. Check.

To make it even more personal, Steve posed this same question a few nights ago about our house. Historically I've refused, quite adamantly, to move. We felt from day one that God provided this house in a neighborhood and price that shouldn't have gone together. I'm still certain that is the case. But was it forever? Or temporary? So I asked him if moving meant I'd still have to work because if so...nope, not happening. But if we moved and I didn't have to work then I'd consider it. But that really wasn't the question. He simply asked, "are you willing to move? Period."

I'm not saying we are moving. I'm not assuming we won't either. It was simply a question to gauge where my heart is. The truth is if I'm not willing to give up my house if God wants me to, then it's likely an idol, and he may very well take it anyway. So, I think yesterday I got there. I want to be where God wants us and if this house isn't it, then let's go. It's really his house anyway and he can do with it whatever he wants. I've also accepted that there's a world of options between the house we currently live in and a box at the curb. A year ago I wasn't so sure.

I'm going to continue to ask myself this question because it's really important. What am I willing to do for God? What am I willing to give? What am I willing to give up?

What are you willing to do for God? Change jobs? Sell your house? Sell your car? Give 20%? Interesting to ponder, isn't it?

2 comments:

Wayne said...

Julie, since Steve posted his thoughts and examples on that sermon. I have been struggling with the very question myself. thanks for your insightful thoughts. God Bless

Julie said...

Wayne - I don't think we're alone. Frequently we claim the desire to do what God wants us to but when he gets too personal we're like "whoa, not that!" He may or may not want us to give that one thing up but we really must be willing. And that's where the rubber meets the road, so to speak. It's definitely a hurdle to cross.