Saturday, September 6, 2008

Marriage Reminder

Today my cousin Kristin and I did a bridal shower / brunch for our cousin Cindy who will be getting married in just 3 weeks! Each time I give a shower or go to a shower, I am reminded of how exciting the anticipation of being a newlywed is and the fun of having your special day. But then I also think about how many people never stick it out much past the newness. And how frequently the joy and smiles quickly turn into tears, sadness, and despair.

Not that I think this will happen to Cindy & Kyle but it just always makes me think. One thing we did today was provide a book for everyone to write some advice for Cindy or a favorite verse or whatever was on their heart for her. A couple of things I wrote:
First, put God at the center of your marriage. Pursue him first and each other second. Let God fill you and satisfy you as only he can. Don't put your spouse in that place or you're setting them up to fail. They can't be God so let them off the hook.

Second, choose every day to stick out and work on your marriage. When the newness wears off and you just feel like running, choose to stay. The world will tell you, maybe even encourage you, to leave. To run. And you may be justified in doing so by human standards. Loving your spouse is a choice, not a feeling. It's hard. Sometimes it is unbelievably hard but it's always worth it.
I've sure been there over the last 20 years. And anyone who has been married for even just a few months knows what I'm talking about. No other relationship is as rewarding and as maddening at the same time. I wouldn't change it for the world.

Here's a few pictures of the big event......Isn't this just the coolest cake? (No, I'm not being arrogant - I didn't make the cake! Kristin was in charge of having that done and I did the brunch food).
And the bride to be...
This is (from L to R) me, Lindsay, Kristin, and Cindy. We made Lindsay our honorary cousin a few years ago during a Bible study the 4 of us did. She is just as nutty as we are and fits in perfectly. She's been Kristin's friend since high school.

And the most beautiful party attender. And the youngest. Miss Mia Elizabeth.

1 comment:

Kristin Hartzler said...

aww so sweet!! I need to send you my pics from my camera i will do so!! Loves! k betty