Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Top 10

The other day I heard that being thankful makes a person healthier and journaling about thankfulness is better yet. Now, I don't know how they (the experts) prove or test that but I think they are on to something. In Colossians 3:15 God commands us to be thankful. After telling us to let Christ rule in our hearts and that we're called to peace there is a stand alone sentence (at least in the NIV). And be thankful. So, in the spirit of the holiday I took some time in my journaling this morning to create a top 10. Here they are:
  1. Christ - his shed blood and salvation.
  2. Steve - a Godly husband who loves me as Christ loves the church.
  3. Mom and Dad - Godly parents who taught me at an early age the value and importance of a relationship with Christ and laid solid foundations (for clarification of why that is critical, see Matthew 7:24-27).
  4. Siblings - I learned to socialize at an early age and that life is not all about me. They are also those who know the heartache and feelings of loss within the family unit and joy over the great things. They understand.
  5. Erica & Peter - both of these darlings were born at crucial times in my life. For a girl who will never have a child of her own, these two are angels in disguise. As I type this I'm watching Erica and Steve play Wii and am reminded it was 18 1/2 years ago when I found out I'd never have a child of my own. Erica was 3 months old.
  6. Spiritual family & friends - those who love and encourage me on the path of sanctification and accountability.
  7. A place of ministry. What an honor to be in service for the King. Could there be a better boss?
  8. A home. I do not take this for granted. Much of the world doesn't have this luxury and God has really taught me over the last year that it is just a tool for Him to use. In the meantime I get the pleasure of living in it.
  9. Health. This one I definitely don't take for granted. I have had seasons (aka years) where I did not have this. With the exception of my annual physical and dental cleanings, I have only been to the doctor once this year. What a huge praise!
  10. Job(s). Actually, the ability to work and make a living. It's all a gift from God.

And so many more to be sure but the title is "top 10" so continuing on would make that a lie.

I have enough. More than enough.

Psalm 100: A psalm for giving thanks: Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth. Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs. Know that the Lord is God. It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture. Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Great list, Julie, and from the heart...my list would mirrow you in almost each detail, but as I read yours, I was able to see the intermixing of those numbers - e.g., if I did not have the home or the church, mine and my children's spiritual formation would be lacking or nonexistent; if I did not have frugal parents and family, and an accountability from our church deacons and fellow believers, I would not have been giften so much throughout the past 25 years -- and would not be enjoying my new home :)