Sunday, November 9, 2008

Such Thing as a Wrong Verse?

Have you ever been doing a Bible study or preparing for one and you read the verse but it seemingly makes no sense with what you're studying? That happens to me sometimes. Usually the problem is that I'm in the wrong chapter, or worse yet, in the wrong book. But frequently before I discover the error, I decide I must not understand so I read the verse(s) in a bigger context. Then I stare in utter confusion as I try to figure it out.

More than once I've prepared a Bible study lesson, I get in the middle of it and ask someone to read a particular verse. I know the second their brow furrows that I've messed up. I've written down the wrong reference and the verse has NOTHING to do with what we're discussing. That's always a bunch of fun (insert sarcasm). I've gotten better about it though and at least now I'm not so embarrassed I could die. And we generally get a big kick out of it.

But this week something really good came out of it. We were sent to Isaiah 43:18-19 which fit perfectly with the day's homework. However, the pages of my Bible were stuck together and I ended up reading 44:18-19 which really didn't fit at all. So I read several verses before and after and there at the end of the chapter was a gem. Actually from verse 9 through the end it talks about God and idols. Here it is (note my emphasis):
"I have swept away your offenses like a cloud, your sins like the morning mist. Return to me, for I have redeemed you." ~ Isaiah 44:22
Is there any better reason to tear down our idols than because Christ redeemed us? I can't think of a single one. He was obedient to death on the cross--gave everything, up to and including his life--and we repeatedly put other things before and alongside him.

I guess it really is that simple.

No comments: