Thursday, November 20, 2008

Completely Out Of Sync

Have you ever had one of those days when you're completely out of sync with someone you're really close to and with whom you're generally on the same page? Steve and I had one of those days yesterday. It was a day filled with "what?", "where?", and just plain "huh?" Here's an example...he called me around 11 a.m. and it went like this:

S: Do you want to meet with XX (names removed, obviously) Friday at 4 in Laurel?

J: I'm usually still at work at 4.

S: I know.

J: Oh. You want me to take the day off?

S: No.

J: Can we do a different time?

S: No, that's when they can do it. Maybe I'll see if they can do Saturday.

J: No, that doesn't work for us. Did you remember we already have plans that night with YY?

S: Yeah. What time is that (clearly he did not remember)?

J: 6:00...as in we need to be there by 6. Not you on your way or picking me up at 6.

S: This won't take that long.

J: Okay. So what about this appointment?

S: Well you don't have to be there. Maybe I can find someone else. (Julie's note: Steve never meets with a woman alone, not even in public. He'll meet in his office if other staff members are around but otherwise he has me tag along for protection.)

J: Isn't her husband coming?

S: Yes.

long pause...

S: It's okay, you don't need to be there. I'll just go ahead.

J: Alright, then. See you later.

At lunch I told him how very confused I was. He made an appointment at a time when he knew I worked, didn't want me to take the day off, and I didn't even need to be there. Why the heck did he call me then? The answer was "that's when they can do it because he gets off at 3:30." WHAT?!? Doesn't a meeting require a time when BOTH parties can be there? And he knew I would be working? And I didn't need to be there? I'm still very confused.

I'm glad that day is over. It didn't get any better from there.

1 comment:

Molly said...

I hear you, sister!