Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Happy Belated Birthday & Happy Veterans Day

I'm thoroughly disgusted with myself today. Not as much as I could be because I didn't forget that yesterday was the 233rd birthday of the United States Marine Corps but because I got so pre-occupied I neglected to mention it in a post.

And, for the first time I didn't get Steve a birthday present. I feel pretty bad about that too. The only small consolation is I told him Happy Birthday, for whatever that's worth.

The Marines are so unlike any other branch of the service and while I have great respect for all of them, the Marine Corps holds a special place in my heart. When you're a Marine, it is who you are to the core of your being, not something you do. There is a peculiar band that holds this elite group together and I feel so privileged to have been able to watch it from as close as you can without actually being a Marine.

So, Happy Birthday for the second time this year Steve! I'll catch up on the present when you get the cabinets for your garage. We'll throw in an extra, k?

And a hearty Happy Veterans Day to all currently serving and those who have in the past. We are free because of each one of you!

No comments: