Friday, February 15, 2008

Who's The Boss Anyway?

Time and again these last few weeks Sam has tried to declare that he is boss. Repeatedly we take him down and stand over the top of him to prove he's not and he must submit. This isn't such a big deal for Steve because, while Sam is strong, Steve is stronger. But me? Holy cow, that big brute can knock me over and push me around. The great thing is he readily submits and he's oh-so-anxious to please.

It's funny because he frequently attempts to assert his boss-ness in seriously cute ways. He'll act as if he just wants to sit with me and he'll put his adorable, albeit enormous, head on my lap and stare at me with those big, sad, brown eyes. Just when I go "aw, he's so cute" he tries to jump up and stand over me. And he's SO HEAVY! Sometimes I can take him down myself but sometimes Steve has to haul him off and then once down, I assert my kingship over him.

So yesterday as he was doing this I thought about how I habitually try to do that very thing to God. It works about as well for me as it does for Sam. The difference is that I never fool God with my big, sad eyes staring at him or by pretending submission only to try to overtake him. No, not possible to fool him. Nor does he need help to push me down and prove who the boss really is. Sadly, I generally don't submit as easily or as quickly as Sam does so perhaps I can learn a lesson or two from the big oaf. Just as I will win with Sam, God will win with me. It comes down to how long I plan to wrestle, squirm, and even fight. It only has to be as difficult as I make it.

This is why having a dog is invaluable -- the spiritual lessons abound!

No comments: