Monday, February 18, 2008

Lesson From A Broken Dishwasher

Late last week my dishwasher broke. Caput. Won't run. And yet I'm not upset -- not one itsy, bitsy, tiny bit. I'm not a huge fan of washing dishes by hand, aka the old fashioned way, but it's not the end of the world.

Now, given the trials of the last several months -- who am I kidding here - the last 3 years, you'd think this might push me over the edge. Since it didn't, I take that as a good sign. It's evidence that I'm learning something in my season of sifting.

I'm a little disgusted that the dishwasher broke down because it's only 4 1/2 years old. Since our house was new when we moved in, obviously all the appliances were too. I really think it should last longer than that but if it doesn't, who cares (in the big scheme of things)?

For the last 5 days I've been thinking to myself, mostly as I wash dishes, that truly only one thing was meant to last forever and I've taken care of that already by securing my place for eternity. It's far more important for me to spend time and effort (after doing dishes, heehee) helping others to be sure of their eternal destination because the only thing I can take out of this world is other souls. Not my dishwasher, not my cars, not my house.

Believe it or not, this is a huge spurt of growth for me.

No comments: