Thursday, February 21, 2008

Open Mouth, Insert Gargantuan Foot

The other night at Bible study my big ol' mouth got in the way...again! For a while I was very successful at letting a thought mull around my brain before it actually came out my mouth. I've noticed I am beginning to slip back into my old way of "in brain, out mouth" with no stops in between.

Here's what happened: Steve got out the Scattergories dice (20-sided) and each of us rolled it to get our own letter. With that letter we had to think of an attribute of God and then list several things we were thankful for that started with that same letter. Once we were all done, we took turns praying, praising God for that attribute and thanking him for the things on our list. My turn to roll came and I got an "N". Ugh! The only thing that came to my mind immediately was "nocturnal". I have no idea why. God, thanks for being nocturnal? That doesn't make a lot of sense unless I spin it with the idea that he never sleeps. I guess that's okay.

Now that nocturnal was in my mind, I could not get it out. So I say, OUT LOUD, "man, I can't get that out of my brain...the only other thing that pops into my head is "nice" and that's something a 7-year-old would write."

Yep, there it was. Sara looked over on her husband's paper and said "Well, I guess you better cross that out!" Like lightning my head jerked over that way and I stared in disbelief as Phil slowly crossed it out and laughter erupted from the entire group. He chuckled. I covered my face. I was horrified and could feel the heat radiating from my cheeks. I said "oh, I'm so sorry - I really didn't mean anything by that." The laughter continued to reign. Finally someone said (I think it was Steve), "You know, you're not the only one able to roll an N."

It seriously never crossed my mind that someone else had the same letter. I am such an idiot! But in the end, Phil & Sara are a great couple and lots of fun so he harbored no ill feelings. As he left, I apologized again and he assured me all was fine as he walked out the door. Hopefully they come back next week -- not only because we love that they come, but also because it's their turn to bring dinner:)

My "N" attribute ended up being never-failing. If only I could remember Phil's.......

No comments: