Thursday, February 14, 2008

Love Is In The Air

Valentine's Day makes me laugh. It seems to be the one day of the year when we must unashamedly proclaim our love and devotion to someone. And if we don't, I guess that means we need to check our love-o-meter. What about the other 364 days of the year? Are they not worthy of showing and professing love too?

So even though I know it's a made up holiday, I found myself disheartened at lunch as I sat across the table from Steve (at home no less) eating leftovers. I mean, really, leftovers aren't worth eating on a non-lover holiday let alone Valentine's Day! I was bummed because I secretly hoped he would call and invite me to one of my all time favorites - Hu Hot. But he didn't. Of course I didn't either but this is a holiday where the male species is supposed to woo the female, right? And guess what special plans we have for tonight? Nothing, at least not related to V-Day. I'll be out at Calvary teaching my Bible study as I do every Thursday and Steve will likely be playing Madden 2008. And it's all good.

So now I'm laughing to myself and at myself because it's dumb. Who cares if we go to lunch on February 14th or February 19th? What difference does it make? None. Nada. Zip. I'd much rather Steve be consistent in showing he loves me all year than to throw a bunch of money away on just one day where we're "supposed" to prove our love.

In truth he picked up a dozen roses for me yesterday (and a bunch of carnations from my boys) but even if he hadn't, I could still have come to the same conclusion.

So, if you didn't get something today, it doesn't mean you're less loved. Even in the absence of a significant other or spouse, the greater love heaped on us comes from God anyway. And that love never wanes, no matter what. Bask today in the words of Isaiah 54:10:
"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed, says the LORD, who has compassion on you."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you my married friend! ~ JT