Saturday, February 23, 2008

Happy Birthday Erica!

As I type this, I find it hard to believe that our baby girl turns 18 today. What happened that made these years fly by so quickly? It seems impossible that our Rica Rain (short for Erica Lorraine) can be all grown up. Yet she is.

From the first day my sister perfected the art of sharing her babies and we've all had the pleasure of raising her as a family. The only bigger delight we could have is to call her our own. It's both fun and sad to see how she has grown into a wonderful young woman. She is an utter pleasure to be around and it thrills me to see a characteristic or two of myself in her. She's quite a dichotomy. Intelligent yet common sense dumb, funny yet serious, social yet shy, has lots of friends yet likes to be alone.

The fact that she still likes to hang around with Steve and I is something I'm hardly able to grasp. Why would an 18-year-old want 2 "old" folks around? She seems to love it. She has a great sense of family and the fact that we get any time is an amazing gift. Of course going out with her friends is often more important (and should be), she still makes conscious choices to be with her family. I think it keeps her grounded and of course we're lots of fun in our own right:)

I could probably go on forever in this post so I'll just pick this place to stop. Happy Birthday Rica-Rain!! I can't even imagine life without you and Peter. You add so much to our lives. We treasure you, love you, and are so grateful to God for the gift of Erica Lorraine.

(The first picture is Erica at a few days old; the one to the left is her and Steve in Hawaii.)

No comments: