Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A Few of My Favorite Things

This morning I was thinking through my schedule this week and trying to figure out how I could fit in everything I need to get done before we leave Saturday morning.

My mind immediately went to Friday at noon. I'm meeting a friend for lunch at one of my all-time favorite restaurants....HuHot. I love that place! I could (and should) go every week. When Steve was deployed I think I went at least 3 times a month. I knew the entire waitstaff and, most embarassingly, they knew me too. In an effort to not always eat by myself, I must have bought lunch for everyone I know. Then I grew weary of that and went alone...and I survived too. When I got my year end credit card statement, the most frequent charges were to HuHot and Guadalajara's.

That leads me to another favorite -- Guads -- at least that is what we shorten it to at our house. We grew to love Mexican food when we were in Phoenix which would have been a great place to eat it frequently but we had no money because Steve was in school.

Another recent addition to my favorite list is Hobby Lobby. I seriously could spend hours in there, just browsing around. I meant to schedule a time to do that but life just gets in the way, you know? I did manage to squeeze in an hour or so with my sister-in-law around Christmas but I want to go alone, when I can really get lost and just stand there staring at something for 15 minutes if I want to. Even as I type that I realize it sounds a bit weird.

I also love Waccamaw but we don't have one of those. And Ruth's Chris but we don't have one of those either. And the beach but we don't have one of those.

But mountains? Yeah, we have those! And I love them -- so majestic and powerful. Lately as I look at them I recall the verse where Jesus said that if we have faith as small as a mustard seed we can say to the mountain "move!" and it will. And you know I'd do it if I could. I guess we know what that says about how small my faith is.

And movies - oh, I love to go to a movie at the theater!

Did I mention travel? That's really at the top of my list. I'll go most anywhere. I love new sights, sounds, and exploring things different from my world. And then I love coming home to the last best place and marvel that God lets us live here.

A few other quick ones would be a great worship service or Bible study, riding bikes in Riverfront Park or Black Otter Trail, walking around Zimmerman Park (not a fan of bike rides there - too close to a steep drop), hanging out with E & P, um, Erica and Peter for those not familiar with Julie-eze, any time I have with Steve, and last but not least, laughing. Humor is essential to my soul. Laughter truly is some of the best medicine. And my life is full of it.

No comments: