Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Pious Attitudes

I'm particularly disgusted today with pious attitudes. My feelings were deeply hurt earlier this week and last week when on 2 separate occasions those who believe they are more spiritual than we are had the nerve to insinuate Steve has no business being in ministry, particularly in the role of a pastor.

Really? I wonder how these individuals justify their sanctimonious, pious attitudes to God. After all, who calls people to ministry? And who equips them? Now granted, I have no business taking up an offense directed at Steve but because it was indirectly at me as well, I couldn't help it. And he doesn't care what they think. Not one bit. Here's a conversation we had a few days ago relating to this. I changed it a bit because I don't want to out these individuals although I'm not sure why I feel the need to protect them. Anyway:

J: You know, you can't be part of XYZ (this thing in particular).

S: No problem. I don't want to be.

J: But it's because you're not good enough according to these self proclaimed "wise" people (seriously, I did the quotes with my fingers).

S: Good. Even better because I really don't want to.

I don't know how he does it -- let stuff roll off his back all the time. He's like a stinkin' duck. The great thing about Steve is that he wakes up every single day in awe that God called him to ministry and wants to use him even a little, let alone in full time ministry. I know if I asked these aforementioned individuals they would say the same thing but they don't mean it. They can't. If they did, they wouldn't presume to know what took place between Steve and God. And they wouldn't play God in this situation.

So, I guess I'd rather be "unqualified" in their eyes than in God's. And I'd rather be on this side of the pious attitude than on their side.

As in so many things, God will justify his child and do it in a far better way than I could; and he will deal as gently or as harshly as he needs to with his other children who are choosing this path.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh boy - my friend is on FIRE! Don't worry about what others say, just focus on God's plan and you'll be fine. Jill