Tuesday, July 15, 2008

VBS Extravaganza

It's been several years since I've been part of VBS (vacation bible school). Generally my work schedule has prohibited me from participating on any level. But, this year at Calvary we're trying it at night and with the exception of this evening, I will be one of the many working adults.

VBS is close to Steve's heart because it was during a VBS, at the age of 5, that he accepted Christ as his Savior. And the rest, as they say, is history. Our curriculum / theme this year is "Outrigger Island". Living God's unshakable truth based on Psalm 86:11. The church is decked out with island items, the snacks are island themed, and the music is full of bongos. It's fantastic.

Last night I was most enthralled with the energy in the room during the worship rally, in particular that of the 3's - pre-K. Those kids are amazing. I know they'll learn the songs (because we do them over...and over...and over) but until they do, they just dance around all over the place. It's fabulous! During the closing rally Steve asked them "what did you learn about tonight?" They all screamed "JESUS!"

I wonder what would happen if adults allowed themselves such freedom in worship? I'm working up a devotional on this one so it's on my heart a lot lately. What if? What if we didn't care what those around us thought? What if we offered God the Old Testament kind of praise? What if?

No comments: