Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Two Days...Two Words

Steve and I have been earnestly praying about something lately. And yesterday I got a word from God on it. Steve is still waiting for his and knowing how God works, they will absolutely match if we've both discerned correctly. If not, it's back to our knees.

Today I got another word. Last night I overheard a very small portion of a conversation. I was trying very hard NOT to hear it because quite honestly, it really wasn't any of my business. Steve was meeting with his guys in the dining room and I was keeping myself busy cleaning, ironing, and then watching television--all within the confines of our bedroom. Mostly I was oblivious but then I caught this sliver and it sent me over the edge. The problem is that because I didn't hear it in context, I wasn't exactly right in my assumption. I should have known better. Even had I been right, it was still not my place to say anything. But I did -- later when it was just Steve and I.

Of course I was convicted in my quiet time this morning. Had I not been, I would be concerned. I just stopped and said "God, why do you put up with me?" I know I've asked that of him (and Steve) a million times. "Because I love you," he replied. So then I asked "But why?" I was blown away by the truth of the answer but because it's such a personal treasure, I am hiding it in my heart to ponder on. It's just for me today.

So my plea to you is that you wait on the Lord until he gives you a word. I believe we can get a word from God every day if we just open the scriptures. It might take a while to get an answer to a particular situation but don't give up...and while you're waiting, soak in all the other words he has for you in the process. When you finally do get an answer to that one ongoing request, if it isn't what you wanted how will you respond? That is the real test. Don't turn away. Don't get angry. Trust God to do what is best for you.

1 comment:

Kristin Hartzler said...

Hey you,
I just now read your comment about fathers, thanks for your kind words and wisdom. I had a great time with you today, we should do it more. Love you, K betty