Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Happy Notes

As I look around my cubicle I realize I have somewhere around a dozen happy notes hanging around. It makes the workday bearable when I see a menagerie of words from people I know love me and care about my life. Here's a few snippets:

"We are proud of you!!"

"You are beautiful and amazing!"

"You are special - don't ever doubt or forget that."

"A kindred spirit..."

"Thinking of you."

"Praying you through today...I know it will be tough."
And so many more. The tears sting my eyes even as I type the words above. When I got in Monday I had not 1, but 2 notes left after I escaped on Friday. One was from Peter and it starts with "Hi buddy" and ends with "love, your buddy". This is special with Peter and I because he calls me buddy but drags it out for 5 syllables. Plus he raises his eyebrows as he looks at me. Makes me laugh every time (so, now the tears are gone and the smiles are there). The other was from Lindsay who met some people here to go to a concert and it's just a happy note. Smiley face, a heart, and big "HI!" What a great way to start a Monday.

So as I look at all these, I realize what a wonderful opportunity it is to encourage people this way. A couple people in my life are really good at it but I go in spurts. In our Bible study video last week, Beth Moore shared that she had a friend who said "you know, I'm always thinking notes." She is not alone - I believe many of us think notes, we intend to send them, but we never do. And we all know what they say about good intentions. We were admonished to go beyond thinking them to writing them down and putting them in the mail or dropping them by.

I've learned that when God puts someone on my heart out of the blue, I'm probably supposed to call them, drop a line, or pray for them. Frequently it's a combination of those. I'm getting better and really learning from those around me who do this so well but I'm not there.

Maybe this will inspire or encourage you to do the same. It matters. Some days it matters a lot.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

So true, Julie. When our pastoral intern recently preached at his first service, I sent hime a note of encouragement...and was immediately convicted of rarely doing the same for our other pastors and elders, who have served for many years in the same area.