Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Others See It First

Something jumped out at me from the pages of my Bible study this week. It comes from Psalms 126.

(1) When the LORD brought back the captives to Zion, we were like men who dreamed. (2) Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy. Then it was said among the nations, "The LORD has done great things for them." (3) The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.
In particular it's the last sentence of verse 2. The nations around Israel recognized the Lord had done great things for them - apparently before they noticed for themselves. When I read it, the emphasis in my head goes like this:
(v2) "The Lord has done great things for them." (v3) The Lord has done great things for us...
It's almost as if "you're right, God really has done great things for me." Why is it that those around us frequently see the great things God has done for us before we do? I think it's because when we're in a season of sifting, trial, or in captivity, we aren't looking. Other times we don't want to look because then we can't continue to feel slighted or sorry for ourselves.

When we've got an attitude of gratefulness, it's hard to wallow in self-pity and even more difficult to think we've been left off the blessing train.

Just something to think on for today. I really need to re-direct my thoughts because I'm still out of sorts and had a minor meltdown last night. The thing that catapulted me was so insignificant and I know it's not the real issue but I just stood in the kitchen and cried. After a hug from Steve I moved to the chair and cried some more. Maybe I just need to cry. That's not so bad, really.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

God gave you some great insight here! Nice. I've never noticed that before either.

Have you heard that Matt Redman song based on this verse? It's running through my head now.

Julie said...

I don't think I've heard that song but if so I'm not recalling it right now. I'll have to go to iTunes and catch a little bit to see if it rings a bell!

As a side note, in this study she talked about how song frequently says things we can't otherwise verbalize. Man, that's so true. I can cry like no other at some songs! (okay, I can cry like no other most of the time....)