Friday, June 22, 2007

Vacation

I love vacation! It doesn't matter where I go, I just love to see new places, new cultures, and experience a few days (weeks or months....aaahhh...if only) outside of my regular life. Don't get me wrong -- I love home too but being able to take a vacation is a breath of fresh air and makes the sometimes-routine-life bearable.

I'm getting ready to go on vacation next week and find it really hard to concentrate today. My mind is quickly checking out in spite of the fact that I still have several things to accomplish at work today. I'm looking forward to this vacation but not with the same zest as I usually do. Yes, it is a new place, and yes, I'm sure it will be fun....BUT....it's not where I wanted to go. Honestly I've not been that gracious about it either. I want what I want, when I want it. Anyone relate? I seem to still be in denial about my pay cut last year and that we can't be as extravagant every year as we used to be. God has provided completely for every single need and many of my wants this last year but I want more -- I want what I used to have and I'm having a hard time being content without it. No doubt that is the lesson I'm supposed to be learning!

I should be utterly grateful for the chance to get away and go anywhere because many can't go -- either for financial reasons or physical reasons, and yet here I am mumbling about it. I frustrate myself! I know I'm being self-centered and half the time that really doesn't bother me. I find myself bothered by not being bothered.....

I'm choosing to go anyway and I know it'll be a great time. This is the first time we're taking our nephew, Peter and he is so excited it's hard not to be giddy around him. Many of you know we started taking our niece Erica with us when she was about the same age as Peter so it's only fair he gets to go once in a while too. They really make it lots of fun and to be able to share one of my passions with them is unbelievably exciting. I hope they catch it too -- and then I hope they take me as the years pass:)

Choosing is the key word for today. Basing life on emotions makes for an out-of-control roller coaster ride, that much I know from experience! We choose to love when we don't feel like it, we choose to serve when we don't feel like it, and we choose to do what's right when it's hard. Life is all about choices, not feelings. My feelings steer me wrong every time, and yours will do the same to you too.

No comments: