Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Spiritual Lessons from a dog


If nothing else, the title intrigued you enough to want to read this, right? You'll probably read many references to "the boys" -- in this case my 2 dogs (pictured to the left). Jake is the little white Pekingese and Sam is the ever-growing Golden Retriever whom I often refer to as "the big oaf". These 2 are absolutely hilarious and one of the reasons is because Jake, at 10 pounds, is the boss of Sam or at least he thinks so. I call this the "little dog complex". Sam, at 50+ pounds not only allows this (let's be honest, I kind of make him!) but he thinks he's a lap dog too and doesn't seem to realize he can take on the little dude and win. I attribute this to the fact that he's always been around Jake so that's all he knows.

As some of you know, Sam is the dog Steve got himself for my birthday. At least that's my story. A puppy of any size is a lot of work but it seems this one is particularly naughty. My other dogs have been small and probably stayed out of some trouble simply because they couldn't reach it. We find the most frequent words around our house are "Sam, no!"; "Sam, down!"; "Sam, leave Jake alone". This morning as I pulled Sam off the sofa for the 100th time, I remembered something he did a month ago that was both hilarious and came with a spiritual reminder. (I think he wants to be on the furniture so desperately because Jake is allowed and since he doesn't realize he's HUGE, he thinks he can too; and he's so persistent.) So, one night as I was making dinner, Jake starts growling and, assuming they're about to get into a rumble, I went to the living room to find Sam on the sofa -- apparently Jake's growling was his way of "telling on" him. Sam had his head buried in the corner as if by doing so I wouldn't notice he was there. I said "Sam, I can totally see your big ol' bum sticking in the air!" He didn't move. I tapped him on the shoulder and he lifted his head around and rested it on the back of the sofa as if to say "What? Who, me?" Then he just stared at me with those big, sad eyes. He refused to get off so I had to pull him off and as I did so, I thought "Man, that's just like me with God."

How so? Well, often he tells me to do something and I don't -- or he tells me not to do something (as in this case) and I do it anyway and then hide my head. As if he can't see my big ol' bum sticking in the air. Can anyone relate? In case you're wondering I'm not referring to the big ol' bum here:) Then he has to say "Julie, I can totally see you there. Hiding your head might mean you can't see me, but I can certainly see you. Come on out and let's deal with this." And so I do. Then we deal with it and move on -- and he remembers my sin no more. How awesome is that?

I'll leave you with the promise backing up my last statement, found in Psalm 103:12 "As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us." Anyone want to say AMEN?

No comments: