Monday, June 11, 2007

Ride-Along

Yesterday was such a fun, fun day! I did a "ride-along" with Steve as he patrolled and the whole experience was exciting and just plain fun. Of course any day I can spend with Steve is a great day because we really don't get that many. As a matter of fact, 3 weeks ago I had a mild (yeah, sure, mild) meltdown because our lives have never returned to "normal" since he returned from his deployment last June. The dynamic of what we used to know is no more -- my job was gone, my dad was gone, and Steve was called to ministry. It's been crazy and I realized 3 weeks ago that we had not had 1 single day alone together since he returned. Not 1. No wonder I was sad, lonely, and feeling left out. So we made a date and spent a Saturday going to the art museum (Looney Tunes exhibit!), the Western Heritage Center, and lunched at a cafe downtown after a brief detour in an antique shop. It was FANTASTIC!

But, enough of the rabbit trail....back to yesterday. Had I known I would enjoy myself so much, I would've done it long ago! The reason I didn't is so stupid I won't even tell you what it is -- you'll just have to trust me. He picked me up after briefing, around 7 a.m. and we got our first official call at 8. I was so excited I had butterflies in my stomach to which Steve responded "You're SUCH a NERD!" Then we had several others and managed to dig up a few opportunities to check things out. Granted, he afforded me a little more liberty than other passengers but he also put me to work. You would not believe the petty little things people find in which to call in law enforcement. It's both amusing and sad. It also gives me even more insight to what these guys deal with every day. Of course I had ideas because I hear the stories first-hand but to experience it was something completely different. I also noticed that a LOT, and I mean a LOT of people wave to Steve every day. It's like he's their friend, and surely they are comforted by his appearance on the roads. And when we took a break for breakfast, there was just a command of presence when he walked through the restaurant (this part I am used to because when he's in his Marine Officer dress blues we get the same reaction). People nodded, waved, and even came to the table to talk to him. I had no idea.

I didn't make the full 12 hours only because he had hospital duty for the last 3 but I made it 8 1/2 and am so glad I did. So the next time you see one of our boys in gray, or blue, or brown, give 'em a break, give them the benefit of the doubt, and say thanks. Even when they pull you over, it's their job, it's thankless, and you probably deserved it! If they're like Steve, they do it out of a sense of responsibility to their community and their desire to help people. That in and of itself is admirable.

No comments: