Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Morning Ride

I never realized how much I miss while I'm driving to any given destination and today in particular, to work. Even when I drive with my windows open, I still don't catch things like I did today as I pedaled.

There were lilac trees in full bloom and in my opinion, few things smell better than that. It signifies long days, comfortable nights, beautiful mornings -- ah, summer indeed. I smelled them about a half of a block before I actually noticed where they were and then another half block after I passed. I wanted to stop to soak it in but didn't for 2 reasons: 1) the homeowner was outside and would likely have thought me nuts; 2) I was a bit behind so there was no time to mosey.

Before I realized it, I was telling God, out loud no less, how wonderful that was and thanks for letting me smell them. I think I started the whole thing by asking "God, do you smell those?" I'm fairly sure I was out of earshot of said homeowner but if not, he likely thinks I'm nuts anyway so I should have stopped!

The point is that I would have missed such an experience to worship God and praise him for a wonderful creation had I been in the car. Oh yes, I would have had the windows open but flying by I would have caught it for just a brief second (if at all), not an entire block.

Nothing profound, just a great start to the work day.

No comments: