Monday, May 5, 2008

Celebration Sunday

WOW! Yesterday was amazing and it's just spilling over to this morning. We set aside yesterday to celebrate the end of our 40 month "Priceless Campaign" for our new building. Our goal was to raise the initial $1 million for the new building. When my pastor asked me to be the campaign director over 4 years ago, we prayed about it and I knew I was supposed to do it. What a ride it's been too. When Paul and I first met we set the goal at a million but really only expected around $750k. We came in at $978,474!!! But we didn't celebrate because of the amount -- we would have celebrated regardless because God is worthy of celebration and what he did in our midst was amazing.

Because of all the other events planned for the worship hour, Paul gave an abbreviated sermon. When he said he could do it in 15 minutes we laughed and laughed. But then he did, mostly to prove us wrong I think. He preached from Ezra where they had a celebration at the laying of the foundation of the temple. I loved Ezra 3:13:

No one could distinguish the sound of the shouts of joy from the sound of weeping, because the people made so much noise. And the sound was heard far away.
Paul made a point of saying "and it was LOUD". So many times we think praise and worship has to be somber and reverent. Sometimes it does - God takes us to those quiet moments with him. But most of the time in scripture it is a virtual party. We have the most important thing to celebrate (Christ), and yet we walk around with downcast faces. The world celebrates non-eternal things far better than we celebrate eternal.

During each service I was humbled. Paul presented me with a gift which I was surprised by in the first service. But by the second and third, I saw it coming:) Because of the celebration, Steve preached at Calvary and I was sad to miss it. The sound guy forgot to record it too. Just before he got home I opened my gift and was so overwhelmed the tears ran down my face. I did not feel worthy of receiving a gift. I was just serving, like so many others. Yet I got a gift.

Another reason to celebrate yesterday is because I was able to see who I really am and how far I've wandered away from that in my grief and sorrow. Being the campaign director has meant the world to me, particularly since my last job ended. On Saturday I sat on the floor of my home office weeping as I did the final clean-out of my files. I just haven't had the ability to let go of reminders of that dream job. I kept them as evidence of my skills and abilities in a high profile project with important stakes. I was recognized and rewarded as someone who significantly contributed to the success of the team. That is simply not my life now. Being campaign director has given me hope in this area.

This morning I told Steve about this remarkable breakthrough. Before I hopped on my bike to head to work, he said "Welcome back Julie." It's good to be back. And off I pedaled, iPod strapped on my arm and headphones in, praise music keeping me company on my journey.

No comments: