Thursday, May 22, 2008

Believing While Not Understanding

The excerpt below was quoted in my Bible study one day this week. It comes from the eleventh-century English monk by the name of Anselm.

The day focused on when things are too great for us to understand. What do we do? What should we do? If we don't put our faith into high gear and choose to believe, then Satan wins. No, we don't always have the answers and we may never know all the answers but we must believe anyway, focusing on what we know to be true about the character of God.

I encourage you to read it through more than once and really meditate on what it says... hopefully it touches you as deeply as it did me:

"I do not seek, O Lord, to penetrate thy depths. I by no means think my intellect equal to them: but I long to understand in some degree thy truth, which my heart believes and loves. For I do not seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe, that I may understand."

No comments: