Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy 2008!

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly the years pass. As I sit here I wonder what 2008 will bring. Looking back over the past few years, I realize each one brought things I never could have imagined when the year began. A short recap:
  • 2005 included deployment to Iraq; the sale of the company where I worked; and the passing of Gizmo
  • 2006 included the end of my dream job; Steve's call to ministry; my dad's death; and Steve's return home
  • 2007 included a new puppy; Steve's departure from the S.O.; and full time ministry

As you might naturally assume, I wonder what 2008 has in store for us. Likely nothing I can anticipate right now and probably something I would have some fear about if I already knew. Thus is the work of God - he slowly prepares us for things we couldn't possibly handle at the present moment.

One thing I never participate in is New Year's Resolutions. Lasting change does not come because I make some momentary resolution and all they do is set me up for failure. So I just don't do it. In the sermon on Sunday, Jim challenged us to make 2008 "The Year of the Lord" in our lives and commit to spiritual growth, more of God, and less of me. I find that to be a fantastic idea and very far from a resolution because that is a prayer God will honor and if I make myself available, He will do the work. The difference is that resolutions depend on me which makes for disaster.

So, that is my non-New Year's Resolution. More of Him, less of me.

No comments: