Monday, January 28, 2008

God's Timing

Yesterday in our continuing sermon series in the book of Mark and The Demonstration of Divinity (how Jesus' life proved he was God), our pastor talked about Jesus and healing which pretty much finished up chapter 1.

The basic gist was this - physical healing is temporary; spiritual healing is the ultimate healing (those were actually 2 of the points) and how when God chooses to heal it's for His glory and choosing not to heal is also for His glory. And His timing is always perfect.

Since I listen to every sermon twice, I get a chance to mull it over after the early service and really expand on its meaning as I listen at Calvary. So, I got to thinking how that is such a universal principle.

Stick with me here as I bring in another avenue. Then last night as I did my daily Bible study lesson, it was on Abraham (of course since the study is on the patriarchs) and how nothing is too hard for the LORD, specifically how Abraham and Sarah had a child at the ages of 100 & 90, respectively.

This all tied in for me how God will systematically remove all common sense methods of problem solving, healing, relationships, you name it -- until the only explanation remaining is that it's a miracle. In Abraham's case there was no fertility clinic, no invitro (sp?), and they were old! So, for them to move from a childless existence to birthin' a baby was a complete act of God - a miracle. And I have no reason to believe God is out of the miracle business.

The trick in all this is to have faith (credited as righteousness; see Genesis 15:6) in the wait so that God can come along in His perfect timing and give you, um, me, nothing less than a miracle. And so I wait.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's the trick for all of us Juls - waiting. Your wait is not without hope though.