Thursday, January 3, 2008

Airplane Mis-Adventures

When I was returning from my trip to Georgia I had the unique opportunity to see both the best and worst of people, and sadly myself as well.

The usual place you can see the worst of people is when a flight is delayed. As a general rule, that doesn't send me over the edge. I figure it just happens, they do their best to reschedule and I've never taken it out on the gate agent; not only is it not their fault, I find they work harder for those who treat them with respect and compassion. I watch in shock and awe as people get red in the face, make threats and I've often feared for the safety of the person who bears the message. I had two occasions on this most recent trip to witness the true ugliness of people in that situation. While that didn't bring out my ugly, there were two other situations that did and I chose the one below because it has a funny side too.

On one leg of my flight (I had 6 total) I was seated in the same row as a most unusual woman. Actually, she annoyed the dickens out of me. Fortunately we had a seat between us. I like to sit on the aisle so I'm free to get up and down if I need to without bothering others; however, I'm not one who gets uptight when those next to me want out (unless it's 7 times on a 2-hour flight). I mean, really, somebody has to sit in the middle and by the window and if they need out, they need out. No biggie. But this woman? Man, she sent me over the edge. I saw her unbuckle her belt and store her things and thus concluded she needed to get up. I was watching a DVD so I began to move stuff so I could close my tray table to get up. As soon as I clicked it up, she attempted to climb over me. Not joking. Climb over. Now, unless you're related to me, this is a really, really bad idea! I said "what are you doing?" In a very nonchalant way, she said "I'm not going to make it until we land so I'm going to the bathroom." Well, DUH, I already know that. I said "no need to climb over, I was moving." I let her out and sat down. A few short minutes later she came back but because she came from behind, I didn't see her immediately and in the same fashion, she attempted to climb over me. WHAT? Are you kidding? Again I said "what are you doing?" only this time I added "Did we not just do this? I'm happy to move for you." Okay, well maybe not exactly happy at this point but I'm sure you get it. Why on earth did she think I wanted her bum in my face?

Definitely not a good moment for Julie. Every fiber of my being wanted to push her down and use her as a footstool. I couldn't see her as anything but an annoyance -- not as a person who Christ died for and loves, not as a potential child of God or an already child of God. Nope, not an ounce of kindness for this woman.

I learned a lot about myself that day. In retrospect I don't know what I could have done to not be annoyed by that behavior. I still don't want her bum in my face, or anybody else's for that matter. I don't even really have a great ending for this post. There was no victory. I guess learning something about myself can be considered a small win but in the end I was stirred up and angry inside and as we walked into the same bathroom once we landed, I wanted to give her a swirly. I didn't of course, but it crossed my mind and made me momentarily happy inside at the thought.

Yes, I know...I'm demented, vile, and evil.

No comments: