Thursday, January 24, 2008

Liberty and Security

I generally feel patriotic every day, grateful to live in a free country and proud to be an American. My feelings were intensified yesterday as I read through idiotic comment after idiotic comment on a blog through the online newspaper. I get so aggravated at the uneducated and go-with-the-flow opinions on those things and they make me so mad I don't even know why I bother to scan them. And yet periodically I subject myself to mind-numbing torture.

In any case, I thought of a quote I put on the family calendar this year -- that was my big Christmas surprise for my family this year -- a calendar with childhood pictures and fun clip art, birthdays, anniversaries, etc. all noted on there. It was a winner.

Anyway, I put quotes or verses on each month depending on occasions, holidays, and for July chose the following quote from Benjamin Franklin. Maybe I should put that on the paper's blog (except I don't want to bother with getting an i.d. and giving them my e-mail address)!
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty or security.
Well said Mr. Franklin, well said.

No comments: