Saturday, August 9, 2008

But I Want....

Long before we got Sam we were purchasing this one particular small, stuffed kitty for Jake. We discovered it was one of the few toys he didn't have shredded to bits in a few short days. Once Sam came along we grew weary of them sparring over it. It didn't matter what we bought Sam, he always wanted Jake's kitty.

So, one day we were at the pet store and there in front of us was the most beautiful sight. Not only did they have the small Jake-sized kitty but they also had a big Sam-sized one. We were pretty sure we'd hit pay dirt. We bought one of each, took them home, and the real battle began. I'm no dog expert but I've heard they can't see color. I'm not sure I believe that...not to mention I wonder how the heck they know that! Anyway, they both wanted the purple one.

So, the next time we were at the store we bought a small orange one and a big orange one. Ah, peace at last....yeah, right. Immediately they each wanted the kitty the other one had. And, strangely enough, both thinking they had one up on each other, they were happy as clams when they got it.

It's hilarious to watch. Jake pulls around the kitty that is almost as big as he is and Sam goes everywhere with the little kitty tucked safely in his mouth. Seriously, it's the first thing he searches out in the morning and the last thing he drops at night.

It's another one of those weird spiritual insights I have via my dogs. We always want that one thing someone else has -- the car, the house, the clothes, the job, the hair, the face, the talent, the spiritual gift, or heaven forbid, the spouse. Sadly, though, it rarely works out as well for us as it did for Jake and Sam.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Dogs are hilarious! I can't imagine life without them. In fact, I really don't like living without a dog. When I house-sit for my parents, I have such a fun time with Moxie. She has her quirks too! She knows exactly what route she wants to take on her morning walks. If you try to lead her in a different direction than where she wants to walk, she won't budge. STUBBORN! And she loves baseballs, which are way too large for her mouth. But if we walk past the Poly Vista fields, and she finds a stray ball, she'll carry it all the way home in her mouth. It looks hilarious. I should get a picture sometime. :)

Julie said...

Lins - you know, the more jobs you gets, the less theh likelihood of you actually getting your own puppy. At 2 jobs you were never home, now 3? Yikes, woman!