Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Gems in Deuteronomy

I'm reading through Deuteronomy again. It's not one of those books I usually think about doing as a great quiet time series (unlike Psalms, Proverbs, James, etc) so although I've read it, I've never really taken my time, chapter by chapter to glean truths for my daily life.

I've been astounded at how frequently God has spoken to me the last 10 days or so. As a matter of fact, last week I came across 3:26 which says:

"That is enough," the LORD said. "Do not speak to me anymore about this matter.
Moses is actually recounting their history in the desert and he was forbidden to enter himself. This verse leads me to believe that he asked God repeatedly to change his mind and let him go in. I think it's perfectly acceptable to bring those petitions to God until he answers but clearly he had already answered Moses and this was the final response. The reason it jumped out to me is because I'm positive God has said this to me a time or two. He gives me an answer but I just keep at it. Finally he's like "that is ENOUGH!" (I can also hear my mom's voice echo in my brain as I typed but that's an entirely different story.)

I don't know why I've never really seen that before but there it was, jumping off the page. Then there was a verse yesterday but since it applies to something I am not willing to battle publicly, I can't share that one! But today? Man, another word - out of Deuteronomy for crying out loud!

When Steve got home from his run this morning I said "hey, I got a word for you today." Then I proceeded to read:

"But be assured today that the LORD your God is the one who goes across ahead of you like a devouring fire. He will destroy them; he will subdue them before you. And you will drive them out and annihilate them quickly, as the LORD has promised you." ~ Deuteronomy 9:3
This fits perfectly with a situation he is dealing with this week because we needed assurance that the Lord was indeed going in front of him and the reminder that he is the ultimate avenger. But he said "is that really for me? Or is it for you?" "NO!" I insisted, "it is totally for __________ (this situation in particular)." He said "well, it seems to me it applies equally to you."

And so it does apply to an excruciatingly difficult situation I find myself in. And all this out of a book that has never really inspired me before, mostly because I've always approached it with an "UGH" attitude, I'm sure. I highly recommend it!

No comments: