Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ordination Day

Yesterday (Saturday the 23rd) was a big day for us and the last official step to formal ministry. Steve was ordained during an amazing service. I don't think I can adequately express how I truly feel about this life altering event. It's not like full time ministry is any more real today than it was 2 days ago and yet it is. Surreal is perhaps the closest I can come to the right word. Not only was the service for Steve's ordination but there were also eight people baptized--two sets of spouses, a father with his two sons (ages 8 and 10), and a young woman I'm just getting to know through my ladies Bible study. It was extraordinary!

Listening to Steve's answers to the select public questions caused me to be even more in awe of what God has done in his life. The answers were just right there on the tip of his tongue--there is no doubt he is firm in what he believes and the immediate recollection is evidence as to why.

I was humbled by those who came out to support us. There were two instances that brought me to the verge of tears but I knew if I didn't hold it together I would be a blubbering idiot. I found myself so touched by those who showed tears of joy. Much like I am now.

I'll end with a funny story from the event. My friend Tonya cried pretty much through the entire thing. As she and Rich walked through a receiving line of sorts he said he thought about putting her in the cry room because she wouldn't stop crying (you know, the room in the back for parents with crying babies during a service)! It was hilarious!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Hey Julie,

So much happening in your lives -- but this occasion even tops the anniversary trip, I bet.

Will be continuing to pray for you and Steve and your ministries -- for God's glory to be revealed and for his kingdom to be extended (the new baptisms are definitely new fruit.)