Monday, August 11, 2008

Photo Finish

I'm a big fan of a few of the Summer Olympic sports. Swimming happens to be one of them. Did you catch the men's relay shown last night? The excerpt below is copied from the Beijing Olympics 2008 website (there's even a picture of the 4 guys but as I suspected I wasn't able to copy and paste in here):

"That Michael Phelps fellah was in the thick of it as expected, notching up his second gold medal of the Games in (yep, you've guessed) a new world record time, with his American colleagues in the Men's 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay, keeping his quest to crack Mark Spitz's record of seven gold medals in one Games (Munich 1972) on track.

Australian lead-off man, Eamon Sullivan, set a world record in the opening leg of the event – however his Aussie comrades were soon left trailing in the wake of Phelps, Garret Weber-Gale, Cullen Jones and Jason Lezak, who audaciously slashed almost four seconds off the previous world record the team had only set the day before. The French team, which briefly led in the third leg, held onto silver, ahead of Australia, which claimed the bronze."

However, they didn't write it with nearly enough enthusiasm for this American. The truth is that the French team was talking smack in the months, days, and hours leading up to this event. In their own words: "The Americans? We're going to smash them." Ah, French arrogance at its best.

The reality is that Phelps started off strong, Weber-Gale and Jones did okay but by the time Lezak jumped in the water, we were considerably behind. My heart sank as it seemed the French smack was going to be proven right. After all, they were the favored to win. In the last 5 or 10 yards Lezak came on so strong and I was literally on the edge of my seat, cheering out loud for this guy I don't even know. He made a reeeaaallly long stretch at the end and touched first.

Americans had won the gold! Not surprisingly, no acknowledgement or congratulations came from the French team. But our guys didn't need it. No, they were excited enough for all of us. It was a beautiful, photo finish. The icing on the cake was making the French team eat their arrogance. They should be full for a while.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

I watched that race over at Jon and Kristin's house, and we were cheering and jumping up and down, and going nuts too! Thank goodness the baby didn't wake up in all the excitement and noise! :) It was an amazing win, as was the men's gymnastics team taking the bronze last night. I'm so obsessed with the Olympics right now!

Molly said...

I can't believe how amazing that was; I get goosebumps whenever I read about it or watch replays. I think it speaks to the way God created us -- to strive for and revel in greatness, aka GLORY ... and all the excitement of this is just a shadow of True glory!

Julie said...

Lindsay -I've become a bit obsessed myself. The men's gymnastics were amazing too....and more Michael Phelps to watch last night.

And Molly - whenever I see a team do something like this it reminds me that we were created for togetherness. And God's masterpiece in his creation of man is truly something to behold (says the girl from the couch)!