Tuesday, June 10, 2008

New Life

A couple of months ago I posted about my cousin Kristin and her husband Jon beginning their 3rd trimester with their first baby. It was one of the fun things going on around me at the time. On may 4th Mia Elizabeth Hartzler made her first appearance outside the womb. A teeny, tiny, beautiful baby girl. And I call her Mia Betty. Just like her momma -- Kristin Betty.

Holding a newborn causes the tears to sting my eyes. Part of it could be in knowing I will never have that joy personally. I've realized it's okay for me to have fully accepted this and yet still have it be an area I always need to be aware of as the potential for spiritual attack is so great. I will likely take it to my grave. But I think the bigger reason is because in that very second I'm looking at a new life, a child created in the image of God, fearfully and wonderfully made as the Psalmist wrote (Psalm 139:14).

As I look at Mia I wonder what she'll be like, how she'll look, and the questions swarm my mind. Will she be laid back or intense? What will be the extent of her rebellion? Will she trust God with everything in her? Will she trust him as her Savior? When? Will she love freely and completely? Will she marry? What kind of man will she marry?

I marvel at the detail that even the tiniest of bodies hold. The dimples where knuckles will be, the lines in the fingers and toes. The furrow in the brow. The ability to completely trust the adult who is wrapping their arms around them in that moment. Even in the earliest ultra-sounds the detail was amazing. In one of them it looked as if she were waving. Even in those pre-birth pictures, as she was woven together by God himself and his eyes saw her unformed body, she was loved. By Him...by Kristin and Jon...and so many others.

I hope I never get over it -- the wonder of a new life. God forgive us for being a nation, a people, who do not value life as He does. Both the unborn and the elderly. May we, as believers, unite together on our faces before our Creator, and humbly intercede for our nation.

Even now the song "Because He Lives" resonates in my brain, this verse in particular:

How sweet to hold a new born baby, and feel the joy, and love she gives. But greater still, the calm assurance, this child can face uncertain days because He lives.

Because He lives, I can face tomorrow. Because he lives, all fear is gone. Because I know He holds the future, and life is worth the living, just because He lives.

Congratulations Kristin and Jon! May you never forget either...may you always point Mia to Christ....and may she love Him as you do.

Picture notes: the top is Mia taken in the first few days; the second is Mia at 4 weeks; the last is my beautiful cousin Kristin and Mia at the family shower this past weekend.

2 comments:

Kristin Hartzler said...

Thank you for this very sweet entry. It's so fun to read what you write!! I loved the words you wrote, and it's so true, i do wonder what she will be like and marvel at the miracle of her life!! Thanks for the fun and beautiful shower!! Love you!! Mia and kristin

Lindsay said...

She is quite precious! I love little Mia Betty so much already. :) Great blog post like always, Julie.