Tuesday, June 24, 2008

20 Years

My morning started with breakfast on the patio. French toast bake and bacon. Begging dogs - such sad faces staring up at us. And gifts. I've already posted about how I love to get presents so you know I think it was a great way to start the day!

So, why all the fuss? Why even mention it?

Because it was 20 years ago today, specifically at 7 pm tonight, that Steve and I said our "I do's". I can't even believe that is remotely possible but I promise it's true! It was a gazillion degrees that day--you remember when Yellowstone burned? That was the year! Okay, so I just looked up the historical data and the official high was 98 but I swear it was 157. Those early months of hot weather kind of prepared me for my first summer in Phoenix, if it's possible to be prepared for something like that.

Anyway, I look back now and realize we were just kids. Not even out of high school long enough to know what life was about. Between the two of us, it was really Steve who was wise. I was completely clueless. Sometimes I think things haven't changed all that much.....

To me, Steve is an every day picture of God's grace and mercy. I deserve neither of those, or Steve, and yet I have them all. To say we've been through just about everything is the absolute truth. So much happiness, so much joy, so much heartache and loss too.

Happy Anniversary Blondie. There's no other who knows me so well yet chooses to love me anyway. I don't know why you do, but am so glad you do. I do back.

2 comments:

Molly said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, Juliekins!!! I never imagined that you had gotten married when you were 12 :D

Seriously, I celebrate with you your faithfulness to each other and God's faithfulness to you both in your marriage. What a great witness to some of us who are just starting down that path.

Julie said...

Thanks Mollykins...aka Moolly. I was actually 10 but you're close! When we were married 10 years, a co-worker at the time said I didn't look old enough (I wasn't) to be married that long so I told him I got married when I was 15. He was horrified and wondered out loud why my mother would allow that. I then had to assure him I was teasing and let him know my mom was not stupid - him, yes, her, not so much!