Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Beauty Within a Day's Drive

On Saturday Steve and I took Peter to the Battle of the Little Bighorn although in my head it will forever be known as Custer's Battlefield. I was shocked to realize Peter hadn't been there even though he was born here and always lived here! In retrospect, though, it's not that unusual to not take advantage of the beauty within your reach. We all get so busy with life that we don't get out into our own backyards (so to speak) and revel in its beauty.

We had such a fun day and even though I've been there a half a dozen times or more, I never tire of reliving this part of history. It hits me fresh every time and I love to go with people who have never been and see it through their eyes too. As usual I wasn't disappointed this time either as Peter learned about this event that took place just a short drive from us. His eyes lit up time and time again as he read the excerpts to us on the walking trails. It was magnificent.

As we drove the 55 miles there, I couldn't believe how green it is out there this year. Of course the tons of rain we've had the last month should have made it obvious but I hadn't thought much about it. As we made our way down the highway I fondly remembered (mostly to myself but a few sentences here and there out loud) driving that same road so many times heading to the stores I was responsible for in Wyoming. Those were some of the best hours with just me and God, and a bag of licorice almost 100% of the time. It seems like a lifetime ago and I guess given all that's happened to us the last 2 1/2 years, it has been a lifetime.

I also saw another first...we were driving the few miles to the Reno / Benteen section of the battlefield. From about 50 yards in front of us, up flew this huge hawk with at least a 3 foot snake hanging from his beak. Lunch. Yummy. I hurriedly opened the window and just snapped the camera. I got a picture but it ended up being farther away than I would have liked and I didn't have time to zoom in. It's okay, though, because it's frozen in my mind.

I love living here. I love being from here and growing up here. I think I appreciate it all the more having moved to other states and having the privilege of moving back. We ended our adventure at a local icon, The Purple Cow.

Steve, Peter, and I as we began our adventure:

The view from the drive:
Peter reading on the trail:
Peter and Steve:The battlefield:The National Cemetery and Old Glory whipping in the midst:

No comments: