Saturday, March 8, 2008

But I Don't Want a Bagel!

I have many vacation reflections, some worthy of sharing publicly and some just to keep to ourselves but I wanted to change the post that has been up forever and this was hilarious.

On our first morning, we went to Dunkin' Donuts for a breakfast sandwich and as we waited for them to be cooked a gentleman came in and ordered "just the sausage, egg, and cheese please". Apparently a low carb dieter. The guy who was helping him, let's call him guy #1 had a pretty thick accent. He said "bagel or croissant?" The orderer said "Neither, just the sausage, egg, and cheese."

Guy #2, an obvious New Yorker, butted in and said "he's asking whether you want the croissant or the bagel - you have to take one." He evidently thought the guy was just having problems understanding Guy #1. Already clearly amused, we listened in on the rest of the conversation...LCD will be the guy ordering (you know, low carb dieter) in the dialogue below:

LCD: But I don't want it.

Guy #2: You have to choose one.

LCD: I don't want either but okay, a bagel. (He looked over at us clearly confused).

Guy #1: What kind of bagel you want?

LCD: It doesn't matter.

Guy #1: Plain or whole wheat?

LCD: I don't care. Plain. His voice trailed off with....I'm not going to eat it anyway.

At this we busted out laughing and the LCD stared at us in disbelief that he couldn't get it without a bagel. Steve said "I guess it's not allowed. This isn't Burger King - you can't have it your way!" LCD then commented something about trying to save them a bagel while he shook his dismayed head.

Um, who's on third? Welcome to breakfast in New York.

1 comment:

Kristin Hartzler said...

Hello JB =) I love your little blogs, they are too cute!! Yes we must have lunch soon, when you get back from the big apple, call me!! Loves and kisses, peanut says hi =)