Friday, March 21, 2008

Dad's Day

Well, today would be dad's 65th birthday. I can't exactly say "Happy Birthday Dad" as that no longer matters to him. As I type this I'm sitting in my dining area looking outside while a spring snow falls gently from the sky. It was a day just like this almost 2 years ago when we said our final goodbyes to dad amidst many tears, much laughter, and scores of memories. It wasn't his birthday weekend but rather an Easter weekend and since Easter is early this year, it has stacked up to be a fairly emotional time for me.

Isn't my dad one of the cutest babies you've ever seen? I can see how my grandpa had a hard time disciplining this little guy -- not only was he unbelievably adorable, he was also the solitary son and the apple of his dad's eye. I never tired of hearing dad's stories of his childhood. He was all boy, that's certain. Take, for example, the time he shot his sister in the rear with a bb gun. She threatened to tell on him, he warned her not to and as she reached the door, BAM! That's right - he actually shot her. As he told it, he figured if she was going to tell on him, he'd give her something to tell about. His dad's reaction? He took my dad to the barn where he promptly laughed. You read that right....he laughed...gave a stern warning not to do it again but still, he found humor in the situation. She wasn't seriously hurt although I can imagine it stung to sit for a few days. And she held no hard feelings about it either. From what I saw, she thought the world of her big brother.

I have many plans for today but chief among them is taking flowers to dad's grave. Throughout this week I've had bouts of sorrow. Last night I didn't even want to go to Bible study but I knew sitting at home was not the answer - not to mention the minor detail that I am the leader. And God did great things despite my sadness. A woman who is taking the Bible study told me during week 2 or 3 she was not a believer. That can no longer be said. She gave her life to Christ yesterday and while it doesn't make me miss dad less, it gave me great reason to celebrate. As long as we're on this earth, God has a purpose for us and we need to be about His business.

In light of that, I can hear my dad saying "don't mourn me - celebrate new life!" The thing is I'll see dad again and I can't do a single thing for him personally since he's in glory already. But when it's my turn to go, I can be found faithful and take people with me. My prayer today is that God would find me faithful to do the work He has assigned me. May people say about me:
"Can we find anyone like this man, one in whom is the Spirit of God?" ~ Genesis 41:38
Let it be, Dear God, let it be!

No comments: