Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Birthday

So, today is my birthday. I love birthdays because I love presents! But this birthday is weird. I had to work today although I've decided my birthday should be a holiday. Not a national holiday, just for me. As strange as it sounds, I worked at a place where your birthday was one of the paid holidays for the year. What a grand idea! Not only did I have to work but tonight is small group. Don't get me wrong - I love our small group. But I want today to be about me. Yep, I realize that sounds selfish but it's my birthday so it is about me! I like big celebrations where everyone dances around me for a few hours.

Perhaps you laugh at that, or maybe furrow your brow in disgust but if you were honest with yourself, you'd like the same thing on your birthday.

Four ladies in the office decorated my cubicle, or should I say they made a huge mess of it? Balloons all over the floor (what there is of it), confetti on the desk, shelves, and even on the floor. Streamers running across the doorway, and a huge vase of purple, red, and white flowers. The smell in my cubicle is fantastic as a result. I don't mind the big mess, though, because it made me feel special.

Isn't that what we all want? To feel special? Wanted? Loved? Appreciated? Sure it is. But as I was looking around today at all the confetti that says "celebrate", I decided that every day is a day to celebrate. Every day is a gift from God. Every day we have a purpose. Every day we are special to God and that is worthy of celebration.

And when my final birthday comes and goes, I will enter eternity where I will celebrate Christ...forever. So, for now, I've decided to keep up a few of those "celebrate" confetti words as a reminder.

This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. ~ Psalm 118:24
I know my mom rejoiced on this, my birthday. And I never cease to remind her of that.

PICTURE: The picture above is my Uncle Bill and I. He was 17 and lived with us when I was born.

No comments: