Thursday, March 13, 2008

Lady Liberty

The greatest day of vacation for me was Tuesday, the day we went to the Statue of Liberty / Liberty Island and Ellis Island. It was a childhood dream come true for me. Factor in my fiercely patriotic being and love for history and you'll see it's a no-brainer why.

As the boat approached Liberty Island I was overcome with gratitude that I get to live in America. I easily imagined what the thousands of immigrants who approached the statue must have felt. After weeks or months on the high seas, she represented countless opportunitites and freedoms they had never experienced before. Many of these people were reunited with family members who had come previously. There was hope. And I felt every emotion.

After taking our jaunt inside to the base of the feet, we made our way down and walked the perimeter. It was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen. I stood there staring, singing patriotic songs. Not only am I free as an American but I am free in Christ. I stilled myself while worshipping my Savior who has given me much. I called this my "freedom moment". Erica said I looked weird but I don't mind so much -- I'll never see those people again but will encounter God tons. So, she and Steve used their freedom moment to walk away from me. It's all good!

I don't know that I have the ability to truly express what was going on inside my heart and mind. But I can tell you this -- it was phenomenal and I'm so thankful for the opportunity to go.

Erica and Steve on the boat as we were on our way to Liberty Island:

Old Glory taken from the base of the pedestal:

Ellis Island from the boat as we approached:

No comments: