Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Final Vacation Update

This will be the last official post about our vacation to NYC. But I realized as I perused the others that it appears Erica is always wearing the same clothes. Believe me, that is not the case! It just happened to be chilly and so we needed our coats on every day.

So as not to bore you with every single detail of every day, a recap of other things is as follows: we went to Grand Central Station, the Brooklyn Bridge, Times Square (tons of times), Rockefeller Plaza, FAO Schwarz, Madame Tussaud's, the Empire State Building, NYPD Museum, Ground Zero, Wall Street, The Body Museum and of course Central Park & Zoo.

My favorites of those were Grand Central Station, Central Park and the NYPD Museum. I loved Grand Central Station because it was so contradictory. The street level portions were amazing with the marble, grand halls and wide spaces all while the underworld of subway life was beneath our feet. It was truly 2 completely opposite worlds co-existing. Very bizarre. I found myself standing in the middle of the grand hall envisioning the day it opened in all its splendor. I could see the ladies in the big, bustling skirts and the gentlemen being gentlemen. And around me was anything BUT that! It was marvelous.

I also loved our carriage ride through Central Park. I realize it's ultimately tourist-y but obviously that doesn't mean much to me. It was so weird to be in the middle of a quiet oasis and see the big tall buildings looming overhead. Because it was late winter or super early spring, the trees had no leaves. I kind of wish we could have seen that as I'm sure it would have made the experience completely different. For a few brief hours we did not hear the hustle and bustle of the city. I also learned you can drive through the park - who knew?

Finally, I was profoundly impacted by the "Remembering 9/11" exhibit at the NYPD Museum. Tears stung my eyes as I watched videos I had see before but after having gone to Ground Zero, it was just different than seeing them from thousands of miles away. I fear many have already forgotten what happened that day. For a brief time afterward we stuck together as a nation but those sacrifices were forgotten too soon.

Amazing how easily and readily everyone prayed and talked about God but it is once again taboo. Why does God put up with us?

How fitting - Reeks on Wall Street:

Carriage Ride pics:





Erica on the giant piano:

No comments: