Saturday, March 15, 2008

Fun Street Vendor Food

One of our goals (mostly me and Erica) was to have a street vendor hot dog, a pretzel, and other things that may have interested us -- we found the roasted nuts to be a fabulous snack. We had great success and lots of fun at it too! We found these to be the cheapest food in the city and as a general rule, the less expensive the food we had, the better it was. The obvious exception would be Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. Expensive but so worth it!

Two odd food moments we had were as follows....the second day we went to a cafe for breakfast which turned out to be expensive and not so great. The eggs were really bland so I asked the waitress for some salsa. She said "what?" while furrowing her brow. I said, "may I have some salsa please?" She asked, "Do you mean marinara sauce?" Eeeeewwww.....um, no, nevermind, I'll pass. She walked away.

When we bought our pretzel (a whopping dollar) I asked the guy if he had cheese sauce to dip it in. He stared at me like I was crazy or as if I spoke in tongues or something. Okay, I'll take that as a no. Moving on.....

We tried authentic New York Cheesecake which we've had in other places but you have to partake while in the namesake, right? In Little Italy we found a local place that had really good pizza and again, not so expensive comparitively. While it was delicious, Steve and I decided we like Chicago pizza better. The last couple days we found a small cafe to have breakfast and it was unbelievably good and less expensive than others - holding true to our theory of less is best.

So, on that note, here are few pics of our street vendor food. In case you're thinking we're unbelievably odd for photographing these occasions, we probably are. But, we had fun doing so.

Erica was Nuts4Nuts...okay, we all were...

The pretzel gets the seal of approval from both Steve and Erica:

Erica & Steve waiting in line for the hot dogs...

Erica and I were quite pleased with our purchase!

No comments: