Saturday, August 4, 2007

The Blessings of Family

In the doldrums of every day life, I frequently forget what a blessing my family is. By all counts we have a very different family than most but not in a negative way. Sure, we get weary of each other and sometimes drive each other crazy. But when it comes to what's important, we are definitely a tight unit -- this was best displayed in the hours, days, and weeks following our dad's death. When we have house projects, we all help; when we have holidays we get together to share the meals, and at birthdays we celebrate together. Most families don't do that.

This week was a reminder for me of how much I appreciate my family and I found myself wishing I showed them more often that I do. I was down with the flu this week and I mean down, as in too weak to get out of bed, unable to keep anything down, and barely enough energy to take a shower. Not that there's ever a great week to be sick but this one was really inconvenient. Steve and I were hosting a dinner for 12 on Thursday night and everything we made (except the salad) was from scratch and time consuming. I had done some prep work Tuesday night which was foresight I hadn't planned. Steve ended up doing the majority of everything else and my mom and sister did the rest. They came over Wednesday night (with a mask for me!) to decorate the tables and came back Thursday morning to finish cleaning the house and mow the lawn.

This morning my mom stopped by to pick up my ironing and brought chicken noodle soup. I am overwhelmed as I sit here for the 4th day, finally feeling much better. Thank you is not enough yet that's all I have to give because they won't take anything else. For both my mom and Shiela, this is a gift they have -- to really think of others when they're down and bring meals or pick up but it's not a gift I have. For me to do this take real effort and thought. It doesn't mean I don't have to do it, it just means I must try harder.

So I humbly say thanks and publicly profess that my family is very special to me. It's not much but it's something.

No comments: