Friday, August 31, 2007

What a Wonderful Friend

Today I had to break the news to a dear friend that a long-planned visit with her was not going to happen. I've known it wouldn't be a reality for over a month but I was in denial about it, desperately hoping something would change.

I didn't even initiate the conversation - she did when she told me about a mission trip she is leaving for tomorrow. As it turns out, the weekend we were going to spend together will find her on a retreat and I was strangely relieved and exhilarated to hear that she had a schedule problem because I could stop feeling guilty about it.

I e-mailed her and said, "I won't feel so bad since you'll be gone and it wouldn't have worked out. Now I don't have to add guilt to my discouragement." Her response made me remember why I miss her so badly and I get teary just thinking about the void I've felt since she moved. I still count her one of my closest friends but it's just not the same as living down the street, you know? Anyway, here is her response and after reading this, you'll understand why I love and adore her....and desperately miss her too! These are the friendships worth making.

"You NEVER have to add guilt to anything related to me. I love you."

No comments: