Sunday, August 12, 2007

Historic Moment

Today was a big day for us, some might say it was historic....okay, maybe just me but I'm somebody, right? We had our first official step in Phase 2 of our strategy at Calvary. This morning we went from just adult Sunday School to a full blown worship service!

As Campus Pastor, Steve did the announcements, prayer and invitation; we had live music, and then we fairly seamlessly ran the sermon that was recorded at the 8 a.m. service at Emmanuel (this is my job so holding myself to the standard of perfect, I can only say "fairly" since I had a couple of blunders). And, we had 34 people! While that might not sound like much, keep in mind that we have just 5 remaining members from Calvary, and we've been running around 14 in Sunday School up to now if we include people coming out from EBC. You don't have to be a math wizard to see we more than doubled our attendance and it's a great way to start Phase 2!

So, onward we go. Next weekend Steve will be out of town which will add another element of "YIPES"! But I know it'll be fine because it's not about Steve and while I didn't even notice, he later said he was unbelievably nervous. I guess it's all his training that kept it from being obvious. I thought he did great and he said that's how we know it's God because he could never do that of his own will or abilities. One of the funniest things about this entire venture is that Steve doesn't even really like people. He'd much rather be alone or with just a really small group of people (or just me and the dogs; me sometimes, the dogs always!). I've come to realize that God calls these types of individuals to ministry so it's obvious where the power comes from and who deserves the glory.

To top the day off we went to my brother's after church for a barbeque and had a great time, volleyball and the works:)

No comments: