Thursday, August 30, 2007

Fun With Mom

Last night I had an incredibly fun time with my mom. I would post pictures but at this point I don't even attempt to take pictures of my mother without her explicit permission - she hates them! It would have made for a good post though...

Anyway, a couple of years ago she canned some corn relish that was phenomenal and so I asked her to come and help me do it. The timing was good because I was freezing several dozen ears of corn for the winter anyway.

It was so much fun to do this and to continue learning this skill from a woman who has spent much of her life doing it and let's face it, canning is a dying art. I'd go so far as to say she's an expert. And I love to hear the memories that flood back as she does it with me. It's like when I go to the fair and I'm overwhelmed with memories of other times doing the same thing.

These times are so precious and I'll get to live them all over again about January when I make corn chowder and remember the hot August night that made it possible. Parents are a gift from God and I'm so blessed to have been given the ones I was and to be friends with them in my adulthood!

No comments: