Monday, March 30, 2009

That's a Funny Name

As my last post indicated, our spring fling theme this year was western. My friend is a Sioux Indian (and yes, it's okay to call her an Indian, she told me so herself). She came dressed as a Native American. She was the only one.

As I spoke to her I noticed she had 2 name tags on--her regular one and then one that had her Indian name translated into English. She told me what it was in Sioux and then told me her husband's Indian name too but his is Crow.

Then she shared that her 3-year-old daughter had been given one during a naming ceremony. Apparently it's a big deal in Indian culture when they get their name. (As a side note, this is the little girl I posted about here.) I asked what it was and she said it first in Crow and then in English. Here was the hilarious conversation:
O: It means "pickled beets."
For a minute I just stared at her because I thought it was really bizarre but how do you tell someone that? It's like saying "hey, you have an ugly baby." You just don't do that. Finally I mustered this:
J: That's interesting. Does she like pickled beets?
I mean, really, why else would you give a kid that name? Now it was her turn to stare at me like I was a little off center. She slowly and cautiously said:
O: Um, yes.

J: Oh, now it makes sense.

O: What makes sense?

J: Why they named her pickled beets. It's because she likes them.

She erupted in laughter.

O: No, not pickled beets, SPECKLED BEADS.

I just bent over in laughter. We were both still laughing about it this morning. She was given this name after her great grandmother. Either she needs to enunciate better or I need to hear better. Maybe both.

No comments: