Saturday, March 7, 2009

I'm a Blessing With Jelly

I was given the most unusual opportunity to bless someone this week and I never would have thought jelly could be the avenue. Yet it is.

A friend of mine is going through some difficult financial times and even though we don't have money running out our ears, God is more than providing for us. As an aside, our accountant told us yesterday, "you know, you had a $25,000 decrease in income between your 2007 and 2008 taxes." Um, yeah, we're intimately acquainted with that detail. It's on top of a $20,000 decrease from the 2006 to 2007 tax year. Yep, we're very well aware...it equals $45,000 a year. We talked about it on our way home from getting our taxes done and the only explanation for why we're not drowning is that it's all God. We're being rewarded for our obedience and faithfulness.

Anyway, my friend went to the pantry to get a new jar of jelly for pb & j lunches and as she walked to the counter, it slipped out of her hand, breaking in a million pieces on the floor (okay, maybe not a million but definitely a lot). It was more than she could bear after everything else had already piled up. As she was telling me the story I knew I was going grocery shopping and I asked her if I could please pick some up for her. She didn't ask me to and she wasn't telling me the story so I would. She seriously didn't want to let me but I managed to talk her into it. That's what friends and family do. With a broken and humble heart, she finally conceded.

As I perused the jelly shelves today at the store I found just the thing I know will make her laugh.....jelly in a plastic jars. Technically I don't know if jars can be plastic or if they are glass by their nature but you know what I mean, right?

I can't wait to give them to her tomorrow! In the meantime I'm reminded at how sometimes it's the small things God brings our way that are opportunities to serve or bless others. I never would have thought a jar of jelly would fall into that category but since it does, I wonder how many other times I've missed (or dismissed) these opportunities because they are just small, regular, every day things.

Anyone with me? Anyone have a similar story to share?

No comments: