Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Warmed Heart

I have a post in me about our mission trip this past weekend but it's late and I wanted to change my post so I'll do this one for now.

Tonight as the 5th and final event with the pastor ended and I was cleaning up, I walked by a dad and his 2 kids waiting for momma to finish up. Daddy said "hey, tell Miss Julie your verse." The 4 year old shyly looked down and said "I can't remember it." He said, "yes you can!"

I looked over and said "you really know a verse? Can I please hear it?" She squirmed for a minute or so and then softly said....
"For God so loved the world he gave his one and only son so who-so-who-ever-so believes in him will not perish but have life forever. John 3:16"
It was the cutest thing I've heard in a long while. Her nose scrunched up as she said "perish". I told her what a great job she did and then she proceeded to tell me a couple more verses she knew. No longer shy and an approving audience made for a sweet girl with a sudden burst of confidence.

I said my goodbyes and walked up the stairs with tears stinging my eyes. It's simple enough for a child to get.

No comments: