Saturday, March 21, 2009

I Hope I Never Get Over Him

Today my thoughts keep coming back to my dad. By all counts it's been a busy day but today my dear, sweet dad would have been 66 years old. Hard to believe.

Of course he quit thinking about birthdays the moment his eyes closed on earth and opened before the face of his Savior. But for those of us left behind (temporarily) the day never passes without sweet remembrance and a few tears of the great man we lost almost 3 years ago.

I wonder what I would have given him this year. He loved anything we ever gave him but he was increasingly hard to buy for because he was at that stage of life where if he wanted something he generally bought it himself. And if he didn't, it was because he thought it was too expensive which meant I couldn't afford it either. But it was still fun. I probably would've purchased a gift card somewhere because he loved those. My mom didn't like it when he got one because it meant he'd spend double that amount while redeeming it!

Instead of thinking about him and posting this minute I'd be getting ready to go celebrate his birthday. I also wonder today if I'll ever get over him. Part of me hopes not. I never want to forget his voice and laugh. I never want to forget his smile and dry sense of humor. And I never want to forget how his eyes lit up when he was about to play a practical joke on somebody or about to reveal a big surprise. Or how they'd well with tears when one of his kids or grandkids was hurting and just needed a hug.

But the other part of me doesn't want to miss him so badly forever either. One day.....one day....

I love my dad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Julie - from the first time you put in words how you lost your dad I could sense your heart. It's still the same so I don't think you're anywhere over him. Don't let yourself get over him!

Jill