Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Humor in the Mundane

We have the funniest things that happen as we process contributions. Let's face it, with such a daunting task facing us every week, we have to be able to see the lighter side. These things may not seem funny to anyone who isn't there but I was chuckling to myself about a few of them today so here I am posting on it.

Frequently we have to fill out envelopes on behalf of those who don't. One week Tami stared at an envelope for a minute and then remarked how that person had writing just like hers. Then she realized it WAS hers. We still laugh at that and make fun of her.

Last week I was making conversation as we worked and I said, "Hey, I met a new guy today." After a few seconds of silence, Lindsay started laughing and asked, "does Steve know that?" Then she and Tami proceeded to mock me for several minutes. (As an aside, I was referring to a new person at church I had the privilege of meeting. There are so many visitors these days and we're in and out rather quickly with our responsibilities in Laurel so this was lots of fun for me. It really wasn't that weird.)

But, here's one of the funniest things that happened although it wasn't while we were counting. One day Tami and I were working on some stuff and she asked if I could hand her the "to pay" file. It's a file where she stores invoices and statements that need to be paid (thus the creative name). However, I didn't have the advantage of reading it as you just did, I was going on verbal only. After she said it I just stared at her for the longest time until she pointed to the file cabinet. Here's why: she said "to pay" but it translated to my brain as "toupee" and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why we'd have a file about toupees. All of a sudden it hit me and I just bent over in laughter. Once I caught my breath I explained why it was so funny. We now laugh every single time we refer to that file.

There's some random things that give me a delight.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Ha ha!!! I always have so much fun counting with you and Tami. And I love the "toupee file" story! :)